Church services are held every Sunday throughout the year at 403 Maroon Ave.
Sunday Morning Service – 9am
Sunday School – 9am – (nursery care is provided at Paradise Place School and Sunday School for children K-4th grade and 5th through 8th grade are provided at the church. Sunday School begins after the Children’s Moment during the service)
Coffee Fellowship – immediately after the Sunday Morning Service. Please join us for coffee and refreshments in the Fellowship Hall immediately after the service. Get to know our members and meet old and new friends.
Union Congregational Church
403 Maroon Avenue
Crested Butte, CO 81224
(Corner of 4th and Maroon)
Post Office Box 726
Crested Butte, CO 81224
Tim Clark’s Mobile Phone
Kelly Jo Clark’s Mobile Phone
Monday – Friday: 9am – 1pm
Union Congregational Church is located in the heart of the historic Town of Crested Butte.
Arriving from Gunnison:
Take CO HWY 135 north to the 4-way stop at the corner of 6th Street (Hwy 135) and Elk Avenue. Turn left on to Elk Avenue. Travel two blocks to 4th Street and turn right. Union Congregational Church is one block down on the right side of the street.
Arriving from Mt Crested Butte:
Take Gothic Road down from Mt. Crested Butte. At the four-way stop at 6th Street and Gothic Avenue, take a right onto Gothic Ave. Travel one block and take a left of 5th Street. Travel one block, take a right on Maroon Avenue. Union Congregational Church will be ahead one block on the right.
Arriving from Kebler Pass:
Upon entering the Town of Crested Butte, you will be traveling on Whiterock Avenue. Travel east on Whiterock Avenue to 4th Street. Turn left on 4th and then continue three blocks to the church.
Click on the names below for a complete bio page:
Rev. Timothy Q. Clark, Senior Pastor
Rev. Kelly Jo Clark, Associate Pastor
Rev. Kelly Jo Clark has served Union Congregational Church as the Associate Pastor since November 2003. Prior to that, she served in three different congregations as the Youth Pastor. She attended Western State College for her undergrad and received her Master’s of Divinity at Iliff School of Theology in Denver. In addition to her commitment to youth in local churches, she has been very active in the wider church setting such as: co-directing the conference high school summer camp, participating or having leadership roles in the conference annual meetings, leading conference youth mission trips and taking youth to attend National Youth Events, Western Regional Youth Events, General Synods, etc.
Areas of Responsibility:
– mission work
– creative worship involvement
Nancy Church, Office and Communications Manager and Music Director
Marilyn Mears, Handbell Choir Director
2016 Church Council
In the tradition of congregational churches the power and authority for governing Union Congregational Church resides with the membership itself. Items of significant importance must be brought before the membership at duly called congregational meetings. Each year on the second Sunday in February, Union Congregational Church holds it Annual Congregational Meeting. At this meeting the events, programs and finances of the previous year are recapped and discussed and the budget for the coming year is presented to the members for approval. In addition, at this meeting, the congregation elects a group of other church members to serve as the Church Council for the year. These elected members are responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the church and serve at the consent of the membership.
The UCC Church Council meets on the second Tuesday of each month. The meetings are open to every member of the congregation.
The following members of the congregation serve as the elected UCC Church Council for 2016:
|Communications / Administration||Craig Williamsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Building & Grounds||Kory Kulaemail@example.com|
|Congregational Life||Carolyn Niesmanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
History of Union Congregational Church
(United Church of Christ)
The Union Congregational Church of Crested Butte, Colorado was founded in 1880 with assistance from the American Missionary Society. At that time meetings were held in the old School House. On March 22, 1882, the Church was officially named, a constitution and by-laws approved, and the Apostle’s Creed accepted as a formula of belief. Then, in 1883, the Church building was erected. Though it has undergone some structural changes up to the present, the building appears much as it did when first completed. The belfry was not finished until after 1890. The present bell was brought from a church in Irwin in 1917 to replace the original one, which had cracked. All the beams for the structure were hand-hewn on the site. There was also a rough-cut, unfinished balcony which can be seen through the upper windows at the front of the Church.
Originally the Church building had a front vestibule, which was later moved to the rear and converted into a coal shed and out-house. The interior of the sanctuary was painted with an angel on either side of the choir loft just below the circular window. There were no pews until 1961 when the present hand-carved pews were purchased from the old Catholic Church in town. The hand-carved pulpit and communion table and the stained glass rosetta were donated in 1975 by the Ralph Walton family. The seven identical stained glass windows were the gift of Helen Morgan in 1983. Among the other structural changes in the Church building are the removal of a false ceiling in the sanctuary to supply the present plywood paneling on the walls, the conversion from coal stoves to a gas furnace, the addition of restrooms and a kitchenette, and the restoration of the outside entryway. In 1963, a small cabin was moved from the south end of town and placed behind the Church as a parsonage. The former one, still located at the northwest corner of Fourth Street and Maroon Avenue was sold to Tim and Helen Morgan in 1936 as a residence. The Paradise Preschool addition was erected behind the church in 1987 and housed the program until 2001 when a new Christian Education building was built across Maroon Avenue from the church.
Reverend Edwin Martin was the first pastor of the UCC Church from 1883 to 1893. Because the Church could not fully support a resident minister during the early part of this century, the pastor’s salary was paid jointly by the congregation and the C. F & I. mine. After the resignation of the Reverend Russell Morris in April of 1927, the congregation was without a full time pastor until 1984. At present, the congregation is led by Senior Minister, Reverend Timothy Q. Clark who has been UCC’s ordained minister since 1992. Reverend Kelly Jo Clark is the Associate Minister, and runs the Youth and Women’s Ministry. As it stands today, the house of worship of the Union Congregational Church of Crested Butte is a monument to the devotion and faith of the people who have crossed its threshold throughout the years.
“Sharing God’s Love with all . . .”
“We are a welcoming, relevant, open and affirming faith community who actively demonstrates God’s love through worship, fellowship, service to others, prayer and study.”
We believe in the Bible as our spiritual resource and in the teachings of Jesus Christ as found in the New Testament.
We believe in the sacraments of Open Communion and Baptism, as well as community prayer, liturgy, and scripture.
We believe that followers of Jesus are empowered by the Holy Spirit to minister to others (priesthood of all believers).
We value all people and in covenant we welcome them as children of God.
We are committed to mission service that provides for physical, mental, emotional and spiritual human needs.